What is Niacinamide?
Niacinamide is like a friend that everyone should have, mainly because it goes along with every other ingredient and works amazingly. Being a water-soluble vitamin form of Niacin, Niacinamide offers numerous benefits to your skin. It is one of the most stable ingredients you can find in your skincare and this is why it is perfectly suitable for all skin types. It can easily absorb in the upper layer of your skin where barrier friendly ingredients such as Ceramides and other Proteins reside. So, unlike other actives like BHA that penetrate deeper, this ingredient doesn’t cause any irritation and you can get well-hydrated, glowy skin always.
What does Niacinamide do for your skin?
There are numerous benefits of Niacinamide for your skin. Let’s take a deep dive into it and get to know them better:
- Strengthens skin barrier: To help strengthen your skin barrier, incorporate Niacinamide into your skincare routine. Research has shown that Niacinamide, when used in appropriate quantities along with other healthy ingredients (Ceramides) can augment the barrier properties of the skin.
- Reduces skin hyperpigmentation: With consistent usage, potent Niacinamide can be effective on hyperpigmentation and spots. Niacinamide very mildly exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells, thus increasing cell turnover.
- Lessens fine lines & wrinkles: Niacinamide has the ability to delay ageing and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is power-packed with a bunch of vitamins that improve skin texture, deliver hydration, and keep the skin looking young.
- Treats redness/inflammation: Niacinamide is suitable for all skin types but it is best to use when you have a compromised skin barrier. It helps to soothe the skin and thus reduces redness or inflammation.
- Improves skin elasticity & Boosts collagen: Niacinamide helps to increase the natural lipids of your skin that are responsible to help to retain younger-looking skin. This in turn boosts collagen and helps improve skin elasticity.
- Controls sebum production: When your skin doesn’t get enough hydration, it starts to signal your pores to produce sebum for the lost moisture. Since Niacinamide helps to retain moisture, it balances the hydration levels in your skin. This further helps with the prevention of acne.
- Fights free radical damage: Niacinamide acts as a protective shield for your skin and fights free radical damage along with pollutants. It acts as a great antioxidant for your skin that fights against various environmental aggressors.
- Protective against UV-induced damage: Not a lot of people know this, but Niacinamide makes up for an incredible ingredient in sunscreens all thanks to its properties that fight against UV light. In fact, Dr Shah from the youtube channel, Doctorly, prefers using this ingredient in sunscreen to take advantage of all its benefits.
If you’re looking for a sunscreen that incorporates Niacinamide as a key ingredient in it, look no further and get your hands on the Foxtale Cover-Up Sunscreen. This ingredient itself has not only made the formula easy to apply and blend in the skin but also made it dewy and quick absorbing. This sunscreen is your chance to claim and access all the benefits of Niacinamide.
How to incorporate it into your routine?
- As a standalone serum: Most commonly, Niacinamide is used in the form of serums. This is because serums are water-based so it becomes easy to use, apply, and blend in with other products. If you’re using this ingredient in serum form, make sure to pick the right formula with additional ingredients to target specific concerns. Look for serums that have at least 2-5% Niacinamide in order to get full benefits. Also, follow it up with sunscreen to guard your skin against sun exposure as it can make your skin photosensitive when used in high concentrations.
- In your sunscreen: Using Niacinamide in your sunscreen is the way to go when you don’t want to incorporate different steps for different concerns. Minimal routine makes your lives as well as your wallet happier. When used within sunscreen, Niacinamide just becomes much more capable and can fight off free radical damage, UV light, pollution, and blue light. Moreover, it makes the sunscreen formula much easier and more satisfying to apply. If you don’t believe us, try our Cover-Up Sunscreen and experience it for yourself!
Things to keep in mind before using Niacinamide
Niacinamide is very safe to use for all skin types and concerns, but only when used in the right concentrations and precautions since every skin’s story is different.
- It is best to start using it with lower concentrations as higher concentrations might cause irritations for beginners
- You can use it daily once your skin becomes tolerant to the ingredient
- When using it in your creams or lotions, it becomes easier to add other hydrating/active serums to your routine
- Unlike what others say, you can easily pair Niacinamide with a Vitamin C serum. They do not affect each other’s efficacy
- Niacinamide is a stable ingredient but it takes time to work on different issues so patience is key while using it