If you have been on Tiktok for a while and are a skincare enthusiast, you have probably seen people using the term ‘Slugging’ quite often. This skincare hack started trending last year only, however, it has been there for a long time. Whether you are looking forward to ‘Slugging’ or just want to know what’s up with the beauty community these days, this article is for you. Keep on scrolling to know more about this viral hack.
What’s the deal with ‘Slugging’?
Slugging is the term used to describe the act of locking in the nighttime skincare routine with the help of an occlusive. This involves using any petroleum-based product such as Vaseline or Aquaphor as the last step in your skincare routine to create a barrier on top of your skin, prevent trans epidermal water loss (TEWL), and keep moisture in place. Although this technique is mainly used for the face, it can also be beneficial for the body, lips, knees, and other body parts.
Are there any benefits to Slugging your face?
The reason why this hack became immensely popular among people, irrespective of their age, is the instant results. When done correctly, people noticed they woke up with super hydrated and moisturized skin. Let’s take a look at what more benefits this technique can offer.
- It strengthens the skin barrier: Slugging involves using occlusives on the skin as a protectant. If you have over exfoliated your skin or damaged the skin, slugging can help you heal.
- It prevents water loss: Occlusives create a barrier on the skin and make it hard for any product to escape, even water (99%) for that matter.
- It locks in hydration: Slugging is the last step so it makes sure everything applied before is sealed. Those who suffer from dry, flaky skin can highly benefit from this method.
- It soothes and softens the skin: Petroleum provides intense moisturization and also relieves and soothes the skin from any sort of irritation or redness.
This seems intense, how to slug the right way to get the maximum results?
You must follow a proper skin care regime to get the most of Slugging. Here’s how to do it:
- Your first step should be cleansing your skin. Since the main goal of slugging is to provide intense moisture, make sure to use a gentle and hydrating cleanser like our Daily Duet Face Wash to wash off all the dirt and makeup.
- Apply a hydrating toner and follow it up with an antioxidant serum like our C For Yourself Vitamin C Serum. This will make sure to treat your skin as well as hydrate it.
- Next up is using a lightweight moisturizer like our Ceramide Supercream, a hydrating and barrier repair formula.
- Lastly, finish off by applying a thin layer of vaseline or any other petroleum-based ointment.
Things to note before you try this viral hack!
- People who have super dry, dehydrated, flaky, mature, irritated skin with damaged skin barrier can try slugging whenever the skin demands it. Those with extreme blackheads, oily and acne-prone skin can avoid it.
- Quite contrary to popular belief, occlusive based products, even petroleum, do not clog your pores. In fact, it can calm it down.
- Ensure you have cleansed your skin well before because everything (even dirt, if any) is sealed in Slugging.
- It is recommended not to slug on nights when you have used retinoids so as not to increase its potency.
- Only slug on nights and areas of the face when you have to! Always listen to what your skin has to say.